Ada Palmer seminar

by Henry on April 20, 2017

The seminar with Ada Palmer on Seven Surrenders and its prequel, Too Like the Lightning is now complete. Below, a list of the participants with links to their individual posts, to make it easier to keep everything together (a PDF will be forthcoming). All posts are available in reverse chronological order here. Comments should be open, for anyone who wants to talk about the seminar (or the books) as a whole.

The participants:

• Ada Palmer is an Assistant Professor of Early Modern European History at the University of Chicago.

The Dystopian Question and Minorities of One [Response to Emrys and Gladstone]

Reappropriated Histories and a Different Set of Tools [Response to Morley and H. Farrell]

Unusual Experience and Second Hand Plato [Response to M. Farrell and Waring]

Not Nothing and Speculating Late [Response to Holbo and Konstantinou

A Dialog on Narrative Voice, Complicity, and Intimacy [Dialogue with Jo Walton]

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Dave Maier 03.07.17 at 8:21 pm

Yay! Looking forward to it, and to Seven Surrenders too. I do wish you wouldn’t use the term “prequel” that way though. The way I prefer to use it, which I think was the original intent, is to say (for example) that TLtL would have been a prequel if the books had come out in the other order, with SS first.

steven t johnson 03.09.17 at 9:23 pm

Amazon says my pre-ordered copy (placed months ago) will be released in November.

Neville Morley 03.09.17 at 11:43 pm

I had to order US import. Are they finally releasing UK version, if only of first book?

Jo Walton 03.10.17 at 2:59 am

Neville — there is as yet no UK version.

Neville Morley 03.10.17 at 9:59 am

Ridiculous and unacceptable…

Standback 03.12.17 at 7:32 am

Oh, I’m so excited you’re doing a run on this! Terra Ignota is a series that absolutely begs to be discuss, pored over, argued over vehemently :)

I’m just finishing up Seven Surrenders; once I do, I’ll be inhaling these essays as well…

Bill Camarda 04.21.17 at 12:31 pm

Just a note to say how much I’ve appreciated this conversation and how much it has enriched these already wonderfully rich books for me. I rushed to read Seven Surrenders because I knew these essays were here. Both the book and these illuminations have been an absolute pleasure, and I’m looking forward to reading the entire set of essays a second time in PDF. Thank you, contributors — and thank you, Ada Palmer.

Lurker 08.23.17 at 3:03 am

(Just wanted to point out this event is missing from the sidebar.)

Elusis 08.27.17 at 8:35 pm

Has the .pdf ever come out? I have too many tabs open….